Search This Blog

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Making Love Out of Nothing at All

I was in the supermarket a couple of months back when Air Supply's annoying "Making Love Out of Nothing at All" began screeching down at me from the ceiling speakers. I've hated it for 30 years, but when for the first time I found myself actually listening to the lyrics the light very slowly dawned as I realized: holy crap, Jim Steinman wrote this song. I came home, looked it up and sure enough Steinman wrote it. It turns out that horrible song that I hate is very well written, and I only hate it mostly because Air Supply's lead singer sounds like someone is running a cat through a table saw. I still hate the song, but now I wonder how great it might have been if only Meat Loaf had sung it. What a shame those two guys didn't have a thirty year collaboration with a dozen albums, because neither is anywhere near as good alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment